- I attended my first pre-k field trip today (Peter's fourth -- he's gone to Orchestra Hall, a farm, and Underwater World already) to a nature center. I did my best to appreciate the fact that he wanted to sit next to me on the bus and gladly held both my hand and his buddy's hand (2 kids per parent volunteer) without my having to remind him to stick together. He has never gotten dressed or out the door so fast on a school day. Those kids were so wound up! I love the joy emitted by 36 five-year-olds all doing their best not to bounce off the walls. I also have newfound appreciation for their fabulous teacher who can quiet them without raising her voice.
- Other than a brief visit at supper, Dan has a 16 hour day due to Baccalaureate and Commencement. Wednesday was Senior Honors Night and was almost as long. Ah, the end of the school year...
- Dan's car, the 13 year old Cavalier, started smoking as it tried to shift gears recently, and after determining that it would take $3,000 and a rebuilt transmission to get it functional again, we donated it today to Cars With Heart. We're using my sister's car until school's done, then we'll do the single-car thing until we replace it in the fall. The big question -- do we get a cheap, small, efficient, old car? Do we buy one of our sister's not-quite-as-old-or-cheap, efficient, small cars? Do we buy a Mazda5 or minivan, using every penny we can save in the next 3 months? They would be not efficient, small, or cheap, but we wouldn't need to buy anything else for a few years. If only Dan's school was transit-friendly or close enough to bike/walk even in December.
- We've had the chickens for two weeks now. We got the oldest ones available -- 1 and 2 weeks old at the time. They're cute, which has endeared them to the contrary neighbors, but they won't be laying until Halloweenish. We've got 3 Americaunas and 3 Barred Rocks. We're slowly naming them as we learn to tell them apart. So far, we've got Stripey (Peter and my favorite, who actually likes us because Peter keeps feeding her inchworms), Raccoon, Sassafras, Curry, and Tarragon.
- I'm really ready for Peter to be done with school, if only so that he can go to bed at 9pm without being a terrible grouch the rest of the day. It's light out so late here and pleasant to sit outside in the evenings, but ugh, the fallout is awful.
- Leo has developed a cute but irritating obsession with sprinklers, hoses, and anything that pours water. We have to leave the exterior faucets turned off from the inside to prevent him from constantly turning them on to water things. The boys will also run through sprinklers even when it's cold enough for me to put on a jacket. Our water bill will be crazy this month -- it hasn't rained in weeks and we decided to care what our lawn looks like, maybe to mitigate any annoyance about the chickens.
- With Dan gone tonight, I told the boys to get their shoes and meet me at the car for a surprise. I brought them to Dairy Queen, where I had a B1G1 coupon and they had their first Blizzards. Ice cream! And M&M's! Together! I admit it -- I took a full medium and split the small between them. We all finished at the same time...
More quick takes at Jen's Conversion Diary here.